Monday 23 January 2012

Something Unique.

One of the joys I get from collecting Peterson pipes is the sheer variety of shapes and models that they have issued over the years.
Regardless of having a huge collection of them ,I am always finding pipes that I have never seen before.
Such pipes in the main tend to be from the older series of pre-republic or Patents.However now and again up pops a complete surprise from the modern era.

I was recently contacted by fellow Pete enthusiast Adam Rusan from Sydney,Australia. Adam asked for my opinion on a pipe which he had recently acquired/purchased from a well known Sydney Peterson distributor,Sol Levy.
It was a beautiful natural coloured XL339 Silver Spigot,with a most unusual Cumberland stem.The stem being in the style of the older 'system' pipes.

Adam had very little information to go on the pipe and had failed to source any reference to such a shape and model. I explained to him that the shape is no longer being issued by Peterson and that I suspected that the pipe was a NOS pipe,ie. new old stock.Probably held within the shop for several years.I drew attention to the unique stem shape and finish and speculated that this particular pipe was probably a one-off special piece for retail exhibition.I have several such pipes in my own collection,although non as distinctive as this one.
I thought that the Blog followers would like to see it and asked Adam for permission to post a copy of one of his photo's.Thank you Adam.I am envious!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Jim,
    That's an absolutely gorgeous pipe! Adam is a very fortunate Peterson fan!

    ReplyDelete